Thursday, 16 June 2011

Go Veggie?



Today I decided to write something about vegetarianism because I've always got lots and lots of questions about it from so many people. Why am I a vegetarian, are there any benefits and what do I eat?
A lot of people have asked me "So you only eat vegetables?", and, clearly, that's not all I eat! I am not a vegan, I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian, which means that I do eat eggs and dairy products. I think it's alright to eat organic eggs and dairy products as I believe that the 'production' of those does not do any harm to the animals. What I do not eat at all is meat or seafood or any by-products of animal slaughter like gelatin.
I've been a vegetarian since I was 14 so I really cannot imagine going back to eating meat again and I do believe it will always be like that.
And here's why: First and foremost, I just think that no living creature should be killed for whatever reason, I would never have a human killes, and I believe that humans and animals are equal. It is simply cruel how animals are kept and tortured in tiny cages and pens. I cannot imagine why anyone would eat another living creature if there are other ways to survive... Especially nowadays where people eat so much more meat than they could ever possibly need.
It's not even healty! A long-term study of the Cornell University confirms that 80-90% of heart diseases, cancer and other degenerative diseases can be avoided by following a vegetarian diet.
Furthermore, livestock farming causes a large percentage of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming. I think becoming a vegetarian is a good thing to do in order to prevent global warming and save our planet!

Going veggie is really not that difficult. I did it pretty much overnight and it worked for me. Now, I have to admit that I was never a huge fan of meat, so it was easier for me than it might be for others, and also my sister ChloƩ did the whole thing with me so we supported each other. (ChloƩ is also still a vegetarian!)
You can also do it gradually, though. A friend of mine first stopped eating red meat, then, after a few weeks, she cancelled out the poultry, and after about two months she renounced her beloved seafood. This method might be easier if you want to take it slow and get accustomed to the vegetarian life style.

As a vegetarian you do not eat only vegetables and I can not stress enough how many great vegetarian recipes there are (you have seen some on this blog)!
Nowadays you won't have any problems finding places to eat either, there are so many cool vegetarian restaurants! Two of my favourite places in London are The Gate Restaurant and Mildreds, which both have amazing international dishes and a cosy ambience which is ideal for a nice dinner with a group of friends. My favourite veggie restaurant in Paris is Le Grenier De Notre Dame with its delicious dishes and typical Parisian ambience. These places are definitely worth a try!

Now, that's all I've been wanting to talk about for today (it's got quite a lot actually :D...) but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

xo Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment