Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Crêpe With Caramelised Red Wine Oranges



Today I'm going to show you a French classic - the crêpe. It is one of my favourite desserts and I actually love having crêpes for dinner, too! Since spring has finally arrived, I thought I would pair the crêpe with some delicious juicy oranges. And to make it a little more exciting I caramelised them and cooked them in red wine. 
Enjoy!

Ingredients (2 crêpes):
- 2 heaped tbsp flour
- 2 eggs (size medium)
- splash of carbonated water
- splash of milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch of salt

- 2 oranges
- 50g butter
- 40g sugar
- splash of red wine

Directions:
1. Peel one orange and make sure to also remove the white skin. Slice the orange. The slices should not be too thin as they will fall apart easily in the pan later. Squeeze one orange.
2. Heat the butter in a pan. Once it's melted, add the sugar. Stir until it has a nice and creamy consistency.
3. Add the orange juice and a splash of red wine. The mixture should have a dark orangy colour.
4. While the sauce is cooking, make the dough for the crêpes. Put the flour and the eggs into a bowl, add a splash of carbonated water and stir well. You don't need too much water, the dough should be just creamy enough. Now, add a splash of milk, a tea spoon of sugar and a pinch of salt.
5. Put the orange slices into the sauce. Let them cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, put one ladleful of the dough in a bigger pan and smooth it with your ladle. The crêpe should be rather thin. Turn it after 1 or 2 minutes, depending on how hot the pan is, then bake it for about 30 sec to 1 minute on the other side. 
6. Serve the crêpe and the oranges. Done!

As someone who loves both crêpes and oranges, this recipe is definitely something for me! I also find it great for the hotter seasons of the year, since the oranges give a little more lightness to the crêpes (I usually like my crêpes with Nutella... I know... But it just tastes so good!) 

I hope you like the recipe, have fun trying it out!

What is your favourite dessert for springtime?

No comments:

Post a Comment